The goal of our research activities is to develop and promote sustainable and innovative water, wastewater and sludge treatment biotechnologies, capable of removing a wide range of contaminants, including emerging pollutants.
The main research topics are:
- Natural low-cost bioprocesses for wastewater and sludge treatment
- Algal based technologies for wastewater treatment and biomass production
- Bioenergy from waste and wastewater
- Biogas production from solid waste and biomass
- Water reuse and efficiency
- Microbial fuel cells
- Phosphorous removal and recovery from wastewater
- Life Cycle Assessment and economic evaluation of products and technologies
- Numerical simulation of bioprocesses
During the last 5 years, our research has covered a wide range of aspects, including: the influence of design parameters on the removal of pollutants from wastewater and sludge, pollutants degradation pathways, micropollutants and emerging pollutants removal in natural wastewater treatment systems, the role of microfauna in decontamination processes, biogas production in low-cost anaerobic digesters, greenhouse gases emissions from wastewater and sludge treatment facilities, economic and environmental assessment of biotechnologies, bioprocess modeling.
Estratègia de recerca i innovació per a l'especialització intel·ligent de Catalunya (RIS3CAT)
Ajuts per donar suport a les activitats dels grups de recerca de Catalunya
Agència De Gestió D'ajuts Universitaris I De Recerca (agaur)